Saturday, September 21, 2013

Get a Discount: Anywhere

One of the secrets of the business world is that if you label something people think it's not negotiable. Do you want to save some money? Try this trick. The next 10 times you go shopping, ask the cashier or clerk if there is any way you can get a discount. See what happens. This includes any place you buy things including online and at hotels.

Here are a few examples of my own experience. I went in to Banana Republic and bought a few things. I asked at the counter, "Is there any way I can get a discount?" The sales clerk looks puzzled, and then thinks and says "It wasn't folded properly, so I suppose we can give you a damaged good discount of 20%."

Whenever I order from King Arthur Flour, I call them or chat online and ask for a discount. Often they will give me free shipping ($20-50 savings).

Hotel room rates are often negotiable. The next time you book a hotel ask for a discount. I just booked a hotel room in China that was normally over $200/night. I told them I was staying a month (even though I am only here 21 days) and they gave me the room for $2900, which is $138/night (21 days) or   $93/night (31 days).

I asked at a cafe once, and they gave me a free cookie.



No comments:

Post a Comment